The News page is the place to look for race recaps, pictures, and running-related annoncements. If you have an article or pictures you would like to include on the News page, e-mail it to email@example.com.
July 31, 2008: Race Recap - Bay to Bay 10K
Courtesty of G. Pope:
The third annual Bay to Bay Run, sponsored by North Shore Federal Credit Union, was a big success and went off without a hitch (except for one injured ankle) at 8:45 AM, Saturday, July 26 under clear sky, 70 degrees, and light wind. The scenic and challenging course starts in Silver Bay goes up Penn Avenue to join the Superior Hiking Trail for about 4 miles, then descends County #4 to Beaver Bay.
Several records were set. The winner, Josh Whitehead, 17, Princeton, Indiana, part of the “Indiana Connection”, set a course record of 43:52 for the 10K road and trail run. That broke his previous record of 50:26 when he won the race last year. Three others also beat Josh’s time from last year and took Second through Fourth places: Guthrie Cunningham, 16, Finland, MN, 45:40, Luke Iverson, 16, Maple Grove, MN, 48:57, and Owen Cooper, 31, Brimson, 49:48.
Julie Reichoff, 41, of Duluth won the Women’s Section in 53:23, erasing Kira Peterson’s record of 59:43 set on a long course in 2006.
Other age group winners in the Men’s Section were: Whitehead, 25 and under; Cooper, 26-39; Tom Peterson,49, Two Harbors, 55:53, 40-50; and Ron Brickles,59, Silver Bay, 57:29, 51 and better. Women’s Section winners were Sonja Peterson, 15, Two Harbors, 60:20, 25 and under; Monique DeLong, 32, Forest Lake, MN, 60:42, 26-39; Reichoff, 40-50; and Patty Amatrano, 54, Babbitt, MN, 82:17, 51 and better. Overall winners received unique trophies of “The Beaver on the Anchor“, sculpted by Rachel Thun on bases made by Dave Gustafson; other winners received engraved medals.
There were a total of 86 finishers including 11 walkers, far exceeding the previous total number of 53 in 2006. First place Men’s Walker was Bill Axtell, 64, Brainerd, MN, 104:09; Women‘s was Sarah Crawford, 27, Prescott Valley, Arizona, 100:31. All finishers received (or will receive) embroidered hats.
Two twelve year olds were the youngest runners; Levi Axtell, Hovland, 81:56, and Nate Niederhaus, Haubstadt, Indiana, 59:46. Oldest, and walking for the third year, was “Joe” Markitans, 66, Surprise, Arizona, 104:12. “Joe” also came the farthest: 1900 miles!
Last place went in a tie to Bryn Yoki, 28,Duluth, MN, and Teresa Woodwick, 36, Isanti, MN, both sauntering over the Finish Line at 135:52.
The Indiana Connection were here last year with 4 runners. This year they had 13. They drove 13 hours, saw Palisade Head, ran the next day, and left. We hope they’ll stay longer next year!
Race co-directors Tom Clifford and George Pope thank the many volunteers who have made the race a success: Registrars Dave and Gail Gustafson, Lisa Topp, and “Junior” LeGeault (who also patrolled the trail); Finish Line Crew Marlene and Arnie Overby, Shelby Wrege, and LaJean Firminhac, sponsor North Shore Federal Credit Union who produced posters, hats, and helped to fund the race, water and ice donors Northern Lights Café and Zup‘s, traffic controllers Lake County Sheriff’s Department and Silver Bay Police Department, water table monitors from the City of Silver Bay, Northshore Mining who held up the trains for the runners, and the Superior Hiking Trail Association for a beautifully prepared trail.
July 30, 2008: More Voyageur Pics
More pictures from the Minnesota Voyageur Trail Ultra. This batch is from the Peterson Aid Station.
Pictures are courtesy of Eve Stein. There are a lot more that are not listed here. If you would like to see any of them, e-mail Eve at firstname.lastname@example.org.
July 29, 2008: Voyageur Pics
Pictures from the Minnesota Voyageur Trail Ultra on Saturday. More to come...
Pictures courtesy of M.S. Kapoor
July 20, 2008: Race Recap - Hermantown Summerfest 5k
The 3rd annual Hermantown Summerfest took place Saturday at Fichtner Field. The weather was partly cloudy and cool. Blake Johnson won the men's race with a time of 16:31 and Nikki Schminski won the women's race in 20:38.
Blake Johnson used to live in Hermantown before moving to Saline, Michigan. He graduated from high school this spring and will be attending Marquette in the fall. Blake ran with a couple other people in the begining of the race before pulling away after the first mile. Blake's best time in the 5k is 15:38 which he ran at the Michigan CC state meet last year.
Nikki Schminski used her usual pacing strategy in Saturday's race. Nikki likes to start out fast, settle into a pace in the middle of the race, and rely on her kick at the finish. The strategy worked well for Nikki, as she was able to outkick Kimberly Neigum, the second place finisher. A 2008 Hermantown grad, Nikki participated in CC, soccer, and track. She is looking forward to attending Saint Thomas this fall and is building mileage this summer in preparation for the CC season.
Dave Pipho finished in second place with a time of 17:40. Dave ran the race in order to get some speed work in and was pleasantly surprised to turn in his fastest 5k time of the year. Dave made sure to pace himself well and run negative splits which allowed him to move up a few places later in the race. Dave also bikes and swims and will compete in two triathlons in the next two weeks.
Morgan Manion completed her first ever 5k in 31:15. Morgan made sure to pace herself well and was pleased that she was able to run the entire distance. Morgan has been training at the fitness center for the race, primarily working on the treadmill and eliptical machines. Morgan is an industrial engineering student at UMD and is spending the summer working at several landscaping businesses.
Laura Plewa ran the race for the first time and finished with a time of 26:27. She has been running for eighteen years and chose to run this race because of the many groups it benefits. Laura's daughter Aria also ran the race and finished in 29:39. Laura would like to run the Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio Half Marathon in November.
Pictures courtesy of M.S. Kapoor
July 19, 2008: Run the Range Series - Final Point Standings
The 2008 Run the Range Series concluded on July 19th at the Festival Ironwood Walk, Run, & Roll in Ironwood, Michigan. The series consists of 5 races in May, June, and July in Michigan and Northern Wisconsin:
1. John Jarvi, Jr. Memorial 10k and 5k Run (May 24 - Ironwood, MI)
2. Bessemer Hometown 10k and 2-Mile Run (June 28 - Bessemer, MI)
3. Dogwood 5k Run and 2-Mile Walk (June 29 - Saxon, WI)
4. Sunday Lake Run (July 4 - Wakefield, MI)
5. Festival Ironwood Walk, Run, and Roll (July 19 - Ironwood, MI)
For more information about the series, click here for the race flyer.
Women's Final Point Standings
1. Jamie Badour, Ewen, MI 190 points
2. Enni Gregas, Bessemer, MI 150 points
3. Angela Santini, Ironwood, MI 148 points
Kari Strand, Ironwood, MI 148 points
5. Erika Peterson, Ironwood, MI 134 points
6. Leah Nikula, Ironwood, MI 132 points
7. Joyce Wyzlic, Montreal, WI 128 points
8. Jackie Powers, Ironwood, MI 123 points
9. Lisa Graham, Bessemer, MI 118 points
10. Tammy Lancioni, Ontonagon, MI 112 points
11. Sherrie McCabe, Ontonagon, MI 110 points
Ceci Aho, Hurley, WI 110 points
13. Mikaila Novak, New Lisbon, WI 106 points
14. Vicki Vuckovic, Ironwood, MI 105 points
Dawne Peterson, Ironwood, MI 105 points
16. Teri Johnson, Ironwood, MI 104 points
17. Diane Schmidtke, Hurley, WI 102 points
18. Samantha Longhini, Bessemer, MI 92 points
19. Jennifer Sejbl, Wakefield, MI 90 points
20. Jamie Hellen, Ironwood, MI 85 points
21. Tommi Schmidtke, Hurley, WI 83 points
22. Margaret Celeski, Ironwood, MI 82 points
23. Arlene Schneller, Ironwood, MI 81 points
24. Maj-lis Sejbl, Ironwood, MI 79 points
25. Mary Fitzgerald, Ironwood, MI 78 points
26. Rachel Peck, Ironwood, MI 77 points
27. Sheila Modjeski, Ironwood, MI 74 points
28. Sue Kortemeier, Ironwood, MI 72 points
29. Bev Michaels, Gile, WI 70 points
Makayla Wolfe, Montreal, WI 70 points
31. Jessica Gering, Ironwood, MI 68 points
32. Sue Hamberg, Ironwood, MI 55 points
33. Linda Detloff, Marenisco, MI 54 points
34. Caitlin Mackey, Ironwood, MI 38 points
35. Wendy Chiapuzio, Ironwood, MI 32 points
36. Nicole Rimkus, Ironwood, MI 30 points
37. Mary Ollikainen, Montreal, WI 25 points
38. Charlene Aimone, Hurley, WI 24 points
39. Emily Cannon, Ironwood, MI 20 points
Men's Final Point Standings
1. Alan Peterson, Ironwood, MI 170 points
2. Glen Weber, Ironwood, MI 163 points
3. Bob Sejbl, Ironwood, MI 150 points
4. Keith Johnson, Ironwood, MI 142 points
5. Mike McPherson, Ironwood, MI 132 points
6. Dalton Longhini, Bessemer, MI 120 points
7. Tom Ruppe, Ironwood, MI 108 points
8. Michael McPherson, Ironwood, MI 107 points
9. Marty Celeski, Ironwood, MI 103 points
10. Charlie Wawro, Ironwood, MI 102 points
11. Mark Samardich, Bessemer, MI 99 points
12. Tim Schmidtke, Hurley, WI 96 points
13. Gary Aimone, Hurley, WI 90 points
14. Chad Longhini, Ironwood, MI 88 points
15. Mike Gregor, Ironwood, MI 84 points
16. Ryan Geesey, Ironwood, MI 83 points
17. John Hellen, Ironwood, MI 80 points
18. Jeff Musselmann, Ironwood, MI 78 points
19. Joe Peck, Ironwood, MI 77 points
20. Mark Massoglia, Omro, WI 72 points
21. Justin Soffa, Montreal, WI 48 points
22. Kevin Schneller, Ironwood, MI 45 points
23. Jim Sisko, Wausau, WI 42 points
24. Bob Michaels, Gile, WI 32 points
25. John Sokol, Ironwood, MI 18 points